Saturday, May 24, 2014

Drugs of choice


I am struggling to stay awake as I work through Day 24 of the National Short Story Month. Tonight's story prompt is to write a story evoked by the theme of the Beach Boys hit "Good Vibrations." As I have thought about the myriad possibilities that this prompt presents a writer, my mind has gone to the fact that my writing practice depends in part on being a night owl, and being willing to stay up until close to midnight -- and even later on some nights -- to get the story of the day. I could try and change the practice, but I also feel that there is a "good vibration" in doing the piece just before I drift off to sleep. It sort of lets me retire for the next with peace.

I really am tired tonight. I woke up at about 6:45 a.m. to make halwa for the farmers market. I was at the garden until about 1:30, and then swam 1,800 yards before coming home to weed. It was a good day, but a day that didn't give me much chance to sit down. It does mean that hopefully I will sleep long and deep tonight, and be refreshed. It's supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow, a  perfect day to be outdoors.

Ever since I quit drinking, I have joked that sleep is my drug of choice. I always think that I can easily sleep nine hours a night, but the reality is that a day of nine hours of sleep followed by several days of eight hours of sleep usually does a lot to keep me alert and alive. It's the seven hours coupled with lots of time on my feet and good workouts that do me in. As for five hours, I can't believe I used to manage on that little sleep. When I only get five hours of sleep now, I feel like I begin the day with a round of the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment