Thursday, May 16, 2013

Food, fear, and fitness

(Today's story is a meditation. It will turn into remarks I'll make tomorrow at Empire State College's Student Fitness and Wellness Conference, which I am excited to attend. But with National Bike to Work day fast approaching and my ambitious goals staring at me, I am feeling some jitters that I feel make good fodder for stories.)


            Pre-bike ride jitters are turning into rumbles, thuds, and poundings. Enough, as the wind blows crazily to make me wonder if I should just call the whole thing off. There's plenty of reason to do so, according to the doubter that lives in my head: I just had a surgery. I'm fifty. I'll be biking almost the whole ride on a highway. My presentations aren't ready.
            And, then, I realize that the jitters are like fear. They can be a friend, if you learn to understand them for what they are -- a reminder that you, too, are human.
            Throughout the day, distractions have pulled me away from my focus, my goal. Even as I took the time that I spent this afternoon on the College of St. Rose campus to walk the labyrinth in the lawn of the St. Andrews Episcopal Cathedral, I could narrow myself down to the world, at hand. A mother and two boys who looked like twins were hanging out in the yard. The mother wanted to chat; the boys wanted to run across and through the labyrinth.
            I have been taught that meditation is not designed to take you out of the world. Rather, it is all about making you more aware of the world. By learning to live with the world, one grows stronger, more focused, self-disciplined, and strong.
            The first presentation tomorrow is at 8:30 a.m. It is the one I feel least equipped at the moment to deliver. Yet, it is the one that I am most passionate about. It is about setting goals, being healthy, and being fit. It is probably going to be delivered by the seat of my pants. Or perhaps more accurately from my heart.

            I have realized that I have a lot to say about making exercise and a healthy diet a regular part of your life. I have a lot to say about setting goals. But I have wondered how much I have to say is unique or is new. My sources are the same as virtually everyone else's in the Western world: books on exercise and training; web sites; past seminars; training logs; and lived experience.
            From lived experience, I can say three things:
            1. Plan, plan, plan. Know that if you want to run a strong marathon, it's about more than showing up at the start line and making it to the finish line. It's really about the process of training. You don't have to be fast. You don't have to be strong. You just have to be willing to give it a try, to say positive things all the time to yourself, and to put in the time and effort to train. A good training plan requires a minimum sixteen weeks commitment. A good training plan is made better if it comes packaged into a lifelong commitment to live in a fit, healthy way.

            2. The USDA and American Council on Fitness both have established guidelines on what it means to be healthy and fit. The guidelines suggest some basics: For eating, five small meals instead of three large ones; plates that are one half fruits and vegetables, one quarter breads and starch, and one quarter protein. Nutritionists will give you some guidelines on plate sizes and portion sizes that might seem appallingly small. My suggestion is to treat the guidelines as guidelines and eat in accordance with the    healthy plate and figure out what size portions make sense for you by way of trial and error, and rule of thumb.
            How do you use trial and error and rule of thumb? I decided in January 2011 to weigh myself every day. Yes, every day. Except for days when I travel and once in a blue moon when I either forget or don't have the chutzpah to stare the number in the face, I get on the scale totally naked, first thing in the morning, and I record my weight. What I have discovered from this method are several things:
            a) I know which foods make me fatter and bloated, and I know which ones digest more easily.
            b) I have a much better handle on how much food is enough food for me. Interestingly, doing this often enough helps me correlate just enough food to feeling satisfied -- neither hungry nor full.
            c) When I travel, I tend to gain weight, which generally comes off as soon as I am home and back to eating what I almost always eat, prepared in my style of home cooking. I also tend to gain weight if I eat at a restaurant. I don't have a conniption fit over these occurrences. I simply know to anticipate them, and to deal with them later.
            d) I know that if I don't put in the thirty to ninety minutes of exercise that the American Council on Fitness recommends for us five to six days week, I will see a blip in my weight.
            e) And I know that if I sleep less than seven or eight hours on a particular night, it will show up the next morning on the scale.
            This trial and error, rule of thumb method has helped me lose thirty pounds -- not overnight, and not even at the pace of one or two pounds a week that many good diet plans diet -- but at an excruciating but ultimately rewarding slow pace. Because the loss has been so slow, I feel fairly confident that the pounds will stay off.

            3. Exercise alone isn't enough. You have to eat well, too. Now, for exercise, well, I began swimming competitively when I was ten and was on both the swim team and track team in high school. After college and into my early adult years, I went to exercise classes, learned yoga and tai chi, ran 5ks and 10ks, and began doing marathons and triathlons in my late thirties and early forties. I completed my ninth marathon in 2008, at age 45.
            But in my forties I always experienced the biggest and most challenging weight gains in my life. I couldn't understand how exercising as much as I did would allow me to still gain so much weight. While the concept that "it's muscle weight" was an intriguing one to ponder, I began to realize that my blood pressure level, my cholesterol counts, and my doctor didn't care how much muscle weight I had. I had to eat healthy and within my own limitations, as well.
            The re-learning process was slow, and I should say it's ongoing. But small, gradual changes occurred:
            * I went from Cream Top milk to Whole Milk to 2% to Skim.
            * I gave in to recommendations to go on medications to control blood pressure and cholesterol, which immediately made me feel better and less fatigued, giving me more energy to enjoy myself and move around throughout the day.
            * I began cooking vegetables with a little bit of water instead of sauteeing them in oil.
            * I stopped drinking wine, beer and mixed beverages -- that was a big one.
            * And I started doing simple little things, like bicycling to work two or three days a week, taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work, and joining my Facebook friends in goofy challenges like the September wall-sit, the December squat-a-thon, and a periodic marathon-in-a-week challenge. 

What these things did was created a distinction for me between exercise-as-training and exercise-as-a-way-of-life. One need not replace the other. But both of them together can create a wallop of difference.
            So that is my story. I'd like to spend the rest of the time doing what you want to do. We can talk about making exercise goals, training, or eating strategies. I also can try and answer any questions. So the floor is open. What would you like to know?


No comments:

Post a Comment